Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Nature has its struggles

Our driveway after Irma. Not bad after a prediction of 12-15 feet turned into 2-3 feet
Yesterday I posted several pictures of fall colors on trees and then mother nature goes and has a high temp of 85!  I think someone or something is confused.  We turned our AC on in the bedroom last night for the first time in about 2 weeks.
I rode 8.0 miles this morning.  I had to carry my bike the last 20 feet so it would not go to 8.01!  Here are some things I noticed:
  • My favorite hardware store is now a piano store
  • I used to take my car to Novaks repair and now in its place is a new building with 2 cafes
  • I rode through the parking lot of Highland Junior, where I taught for 29 years, and a teacher was going into the building.  He slide his card to get in, I am sure that is a safety thing
  • The Kinko's store that I spent a lot of money in is now a FedEx store
  • The dry cleaners on Snelling is now a bakery place
  • The old building on Grand where there was a tiny cafe is now grass
  • The soccer store on Snelling is now a salon
  • The site of the old Walgreen's on Snelling is now a BMO bank
  • Half a block of homes disappeared on Snelling and in their place is a huge apt complex
  • The store I used to get film and copies is now an ice cream store
  • St. Paul drug still has a fountain counter with shakes and cones
  • Of course that is just a tiny bit of the changes over the last 10 years
I read an article in the paper about Tony Sannah's apt building.  Tony was a soccer teammate of John, Travis and Aaron at SPA.  Tony went on to play professional at the highest level and it seems he was able to make a lot of money which he is now spending in St Paul.  Anyway he owns a 15 unit apt building on Grand Ave and he had applied for some kind of variance which was turned down. The article went on to say the building is managed by his mother who stated that all the apt are full and there is a long waiting list!  I rode over there this morning just to see the building and what do you know, there is an "apartment for rent" sign out front.  That waiting list must have shrunk fast!
It looks like another very very nice day with temps reaching mid 80s again.  By Friday it is supposed to be back to normal which sees temps in the mid 70s.
I had to reheat my FP when I got back from my ride and now it is finished as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment